Table of Contents
1.For Saudi citizens
Cars are allowed to be imported into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, provided that the car model does not exceed five years for small cars, buses, and light transport (3.5 tons and less) and ten years for heavy transport trucks (more than 3.5 tons), and it is calculated descending, except for the current year. For example, in 2021 it can import these models:
- Cars, buses, and light trucks of 2016 – 2017 – 2018 – 2019 – 2020 model
- Issuing an energy efficiency certificate through the energy efficiency card website.
- Heavy transport trucks until the 2011 model
- Antique cars over 30 years old can be imported.
- Conforming the car to the Gulf standard specifications by bringing a certificate from the Standards Authority in the Kingdom or any approved body in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Ensure that the documents are correct and match the body number registered on the vehicle and that there is no modification to the body number.
2.For Citizens of the Arab Gulf states
Every Gulf citizen has the right to import two cars during the year (12 months)
As for the documents that must be submitted to complete the procedures for importing the car:
- A document proving ownership of the car (export certificate for cars imported from Gulf countries) in addition to the national identity and proof of payment method.
3.For the residents of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Residents have the right to import one private car every 3 years, and he is only entitled to sell it after more than three years from the date of import
It is also prohibited to import transport vehicles and buses for residents.
Documents to be submitted to finalize the procedures for importing the vehicle for residents:
Document proving ownership of the car (export certificate for cars imported from Gulf countries) in addition to the residence permit and proof of payment method.
Cars prohibited to be imported into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- It is forbidden to import salvage cars that have been submerged, or that have suffered an accident, fire, overturn, or damage to their structure, according to the results of the examination obtained by the Saudi Customs.
- It is forbidden to import cars that were used as taxis or police cars.
- It is forbidden to import vehicles bearing logos related to school transport or the like.
- It is forbidden to import cars if there are damages to the vehicle’s exterior unless it is at the port of arrival, and a certificate from the competent authority shall be submitted proving this.
- It is forbidden to import cars with modified steering from right to left
- It is prohibited to import vehicles whose chassis number has been tampered with
- It is prohibited to import armored cars
* All this information was based on the Saudi Customs website