The process of shipping and moving furniture in a correct manner requires appropriate steps and arrangements to ensure that the transportation process is completed safely and without causing any damage to the furniture, starting with determining the appropriate time for shipping, choosing the most appropriate materials for packaging, and finally choosing the most appropriate and safe means of transportation for shipping the furniture.
Good planning also aims to reduce the risk of damage during the shipping process and ensure that the furniture arrives in good condition at its intended destination.
Steps to take in order to ship furniture properly:
There are some steps that must be followed to ship the furniture in a safe and correct way to the desired place without causing any damage to the furniture, at the lowest cost and in the fastest time. These steps are:
- Furniture Evaluation: Evaluate all the furniture pieces you wish to ship. Determine the number, size, weight, and general condition of each piece. This will help you determine your shipping needs and requirements, including the type, size, and number of means of transportation required.
- Size and Weight Calculation: Calculate the total size of the furniture and the approximate weight of the shipment. You can use appropriate measuring tools to measure dimensions and a scale to measure weight. You will need this information to determine the appropriate type and capacity of transportation.
- Packaging and preparation: You must pack the furniture well and safely before shipping. Use proper packaging materials such as custom plastic, air bubbles and cardboard to protect the furniture from scratches and damage during transportation.
- Prepare a list of furniture: Prepare a list of all the furniture pieces you wish to ship. Determine the dimensions and approximate weight of each piece. This information will help you determine what size truck you will need.
- Search for international moving companies: Look for reliable international moving companies that specialize in shipping furniture. Compare different companies based on their reputation, customer ratings, and services provided. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or family and read online reviews and ratings for different businesses. Select a company that has a good reputation and provides high-quality service. Make sure that the company has experience in shipping furniture and has the appropriate means of international moving.
- Get price estimates: Contact several international moving companies and request price estimates. You may need to provide exact details about the furniture to be shipped and the distance to be shipped. Compare the costs and services provided by different companies and choose the best for you in terms of quality and cost.
- Ensure that there is insurance: Request information about insurance for the shipment from the shipping company. You may need insurance for the shipped furniture to protect against any losses or damage that may occur during shipping.
- Time arrangements: Determine the shipping and delivery time that suits you. Make sure your schedule is compatible with the chosen company's schedule and select appointments that suit you.
- Make sure to provide the necessary shipping documents: Furniture invoices and other documents may be required for the shipment. Make sure you have all the required documents in advance.
- Track the shipment: You must track your shipment. Be sure to obtain tracking information from the shipping company and follow the movement of the shipment during transportation.
- Inspect the furniture upon receipt: Inspect the furniture upon its arrival. Examine it carefully to ensure that no damage has occurred to it, and you must receive the furniture according to the list prepared previously of its types, sizes, and numbers.
Tips for properly packing furniture:
Some tips for packing furniture correctly and soundly to ensure that the furniture reaches the required destination free of any damage:
Use appropriate packaging materials: It is recommended to use appropriate packaging materials to protect the furniture from scratches and dings during the shipping process. You can use bubble wrap, protective film, plastic bags, adhesive tape, and cardboard. Make sure to use high quality materials to ensure good protection.
Dismantling the furniture: Disassemble the furniture if the pieces are removable. Document and label all parts and accompanying screws for each piece to facilitate installation at destination.
Protect Corners and Edges: Cover sharp corners and hard edges of furniture well with air bubbles or other protective materials. Corner holders can also be used to protect corners from damage.
Wrapping each piece individually: It is recommended to wrap each piece of furniture individually. This may include using protective covers for sofas, chairs, mattresses, and other furnishings. Try to provide an extra layer of protection for each piece.
Fixing moving parts: If the furniture contains moveable parts such as drawers and doors, secure them tightly using adhesive tapes to avoid opening them during shipping.
Protect glass and mirrors: If you have glass or mirrors, wrap them individually with air bubbles and secure them securely inside a shock-resistant case. You can also use adhesive strips to additionally secure the glass.
Placing signs and labels: You must place clear signs and labels on all furniture pieces and packaging boxes, using stickers indicating the correct direction of the furniture and sensitive handling directions, such as “fragile” to be careful during the loading and unloading process and to avoid damage.
Proper storage: You should store furniture in dry, clean, and appropriate places if you are storing it for a temporary period. You must wrap the furniture pieces well and provide them with sufficient space to avoid pressure on fragile or sensitive pieces.