The United Arab Emirates is one of the largest importing countries in the world thanks to its strong economy, continuous expansion, and ease of re-exporting from it. It imports a wide range of products to meet the needs of its population of approximately 10 million people.
The UAE's main imports include food commodities, industrial machinery and equipment, chemicals, medical machinery and equipment, petroleum products, vehicles, and spare parts, in addition to electronic and electrical appliances. The UAE also imports many consumer products such as clothing, shoes, and accessories. This large demand for imports is due to the nature of the diversified economy in the Emirates and the continued development and economic activity in the country.
The most important countries supplying to the UAE
One of the most important countries supplying the UAE, China is a huge market that provides a wide range of different products at competitive prices. Its exports to the UAE include:
- Electronics, including cell phones, computers, televisions, and other electronic devices.
- Clothes, including men's, women’s, and children's clothing.
- Furniture, which includes both home and office furniture.
- Foodstuffs, such as rice, tea, and dried fruits.
- Electrical appliances, including household appliances such as washing machines, dryers, vacuum cleaners, and refrigerators.
- Building materials, such as pipes, electrical wires, and insulating materials.
- Industrial products: such as equipment, chemicals, petrochemicals, and raw materials.
2- United States of America:
In addition to China, the United States is one of the main supplier countries to the UAE. From which the UAE imports:
- Aircraft, including passenger and cargo aircraft.
- Medical equipment, such as medical devices, surgical equipment, and medications.
- Chemicals, such as polymers, polyethylene, and benzene.
- Grains, such as wheat and barley.
- Machinery and equipment, including agricultural machinery and industrial equipment.
- Electronic products, including smartphones, laptops, and tablets.
- Food and beverages. The UAE imports some food and beverages from the United States, such as meat, fish, and soft drinks.
Germany is also an important economic partner of the UAE, as many products and goods are exchanged between the two countries. Products imported by the UAE from Germany include, but are not limited to:
- Equipment and machinery, such as industrial equipment, heavy machinery, medical and scientific equipment.
- Chemical products, for example pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals used in agriculture and industry.
- Cars and spare parts
- Food and beverages, such as cereals, meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, dairy and soft drinks.
Among the most important countries from which the UAE imports cars, appliances, and electronic equipment, including, for example:
- Cars. The famous brands that the UAE imports from Japan include Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, and others.
- Electronic products, such as smartphones, laptops, televisions, digital cameras, tablets, etc.
- Industrial equipment and machinery, including heavy equipment, industrial machinery and equipment used in the oil, gas, and industrial sectors.
Clothes and fashion: Japan is famous for designing high-quality clothes and fashions, and the UAE imports many clothes, accessories, and leather products from Japan.
Imports coming from India to the UAE vary between:
- Petroleum derivatives: The UAE imports large quantities of petroleum derivatives from India, including gasoline, diesel, and liquefied natural gas.
- Clothes and fashions, for all ages, including women, men, and children.
- Food and drinks, such as rice, spices, tea, coffee, nuts, fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, and cheese.
- Chemical products and medicines, including chemicals used in various industries and medicines used in health care.
- Electronic and electrical devices, such as smartphones, laptops, televisions, and other home appliances.
- Jewellery and gemstones. India is famous for manufacturing jewellery and gemstones, and the UAE imports many of these products from it.
Switzerland is also one of the countries that exports many products to the Emirates, including, for example:
- Watches, as Switzerland is famous for making luxury and sophisticated watches.
- Jewellery, fine jewellery such as earrings, rings, and bracelets.
- Medicines. The UAE imports some advanced medicines, as Switzerland is famous for developing medicines and biotechnology.
- Industrial products, such as precision equipment, electrical appliances, and medical equipment.
- Sports equipment, such as bicycles and fitness equipment.
- Food products, from which the UAE imports some luxury food products, such as chocolate and cheese.