Split or combined land shipping “Less Than Truckload, or LTL for short” is one of the methods used to ship goods by land to save time, effort, and cost for customers of shipping companies.
The concept of split or combined land freight (LTL)
One of the types of land transportation services, which means using a limited space inside the truck, where the customer needs to transport a load that is less than the full truck load, as the weight of the shipment ranges between approximately 50 and 1500 kilograms, and it does not need a full truck to transport it.
Advantages of split or combined land freight (LTL)
The split or combined land freight service consists of dividing the shipment into smaller units and transporting it by trucks or trains to different destinations. This service provides many advantages for customers and companies that use it, including:
Cost saving: This type of shipping is an economical option for transporting small shipments. When the shipment is not enough to fill the entire truck, the cost saving advantage is represented by the following points:
- Sharing of transportation costs: Transportation costs are shared between different customers in the split shipment. This includes fuel costs, drivers, truck maintenance, insurance and other transportation costs. Thus, the financial burden on each customer is greatly reduced.
- Reducing packaging costs: In split shipping, the shipment does not usually need to be packed in the same way as for a large shipment. Instead, smaller shipments are generally packaged in smaller, simpler packages. This reduces packaging costs and may result in additional savings.
- Save on storage costs: In split shipping, shipments are consolidated in a warehouse or distribution center before being shipped. This means that the costs of temporary storage of the shipment can be saved. Instead of storing the shipment in your own warehouse, space is saved in a shared warehouse used by multiple customers.
Saving time and speed: This type of shipping helps saves time and speed, which is one of the most important aspects that the customer is keen on, and this is done through the following points:
- Consolidation of shipments: In split shipping, small shipments from several senders are combined into one truck. This reduces the number of individual trips and saves time spent loading and unloading trucks. Instead of sending an empty truck for each small shipment, shipments are consolidated into one truck for better time efficiency.
- Using a wide network: Some fragmented shipping companies provide a wide network covering multiple regions. By using a moving company with a wide network, you can benefit from having trucks already equipped in different areas. This reduces the time needed to transport shipments between regions and saves the time it takes to ship.
- Improved tracking technology: Tracking technology contributes to improving time in split shipping operations. Using shipment tracking technology, you can monitor the movement of the shipment and know its location at any time
- Improved planning and coordination: Planning and coordination of split shipping operations can be improved to save time. This includes setting an accurate schedule for collecting and delivering shipments, constantly communicating with the carrier to ensure the schedule is executed correctly, planning ahead for the processing of shipments and recording data correctly. By optimizing these processes, additional time and unnecessary delays can be reduced.
- Using express shipping services: In some cases, you can choose express shipping services provided by transportation companies. These services are considered faster and more efficient, as the shipment is processed with high priority and delivered in a short time. By choosing express shipping service, you can save time and achieve faster delivery.
Flexible delivery options: This type provides flexible delivery options. More than other types of shipping services that the customer often desires, the flexible delivery options are as follows:
- Loading and unloading service: Loading and unloading service is very flexible and popular in fragmented road shipping. The service provider's team loads the shipment from the sender's location and unloads it at the recipient's location. This saves time and effort for the customer and allows him to focus on his other work.
- Basement delivery service: If the shipment is large, heavy and difficult to handle, a basement delivery service may be offered. This means that the shipment will be delivered at the desired location within the building or basement, rather than on the curb.
- Delivery service at a specific time: You may have specific time needs to receive the shipment. In this case, you can request delivery service at a specific time. A specific time will be specified for delivery of the shipment and its arrival will be guaranteed at the specified time requested.
- Delivery service on holidays and extra working days: If you need to deliver your shipment on a holiday or on additional working days outside normal working hours, you can request this flexible service. Staff will be available to deliver the shipment at the required time according to your specific requirements.
Increased safety and protection: Increased safety and protection when using split ground shipping means taking additional measures to ensure the safety of the shipment during transportation and storage and reduce the risk of damage or loss. These procedures aim to protect the shipment from damage and theft and ensure that it reaches its intended destination safely. The following are some of the elements that contribute to increasing safety and protection in fragmented land shipping:
- Good packaging: The shipment must be well packed and wrapped in strong, shock-resistant materials. Bubble plastic, foam and cardboard can be used to protect the shipment from damage during transportation.
- Insurance: An insurance policy can be purchased for the shipment, which covers potential damage or loss during transportation. You must study the insurance conditions and ensure that possible types of damages are covered.
- Identity verification: The identity of the sender and recipient must be verified to ensure that the shipment goes to the relevant person only. The recipient's signature or confirmation code can be used as verification methods.
- Tracking and monitoring: Tracking and monitoring techniques should be used to monitor the movement of the shipment throughout transportation. Technologies such as barcodes and logistics information systems can be used to track and document shipment movements.
- Training and awareness: Appropriate training must be provided to workers on fragmented land freight on safety and protection procedures. They must have awareness of the importance of safe handling of shipments.